The DPT program is a graduate-level degree-seeking program. Prospective students have three options to apply for the physical therapy program.
- Standard Admissions Pathway (SAP): The standard pathway is for college students who have graduated or are about to graduate with their undergraduate degree.
- Junior Early Admissions Pathway (JEAP): This pathway is for UC CAHS students majoring in Health Sciences. These students will apply to the DPT program when they reach the junior level of their undergraduate studies.
- High School Early Admissions Pathway (HEAP): This pathway is for qualified high school seniors interested in pursuing a UC undergraduate degree in Health Sciences in the College of Allied Health Sciences and then continuing on to pursue a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree.
Students applying to the DPT program must meet the following admission requirements:
- Completion of the PTCAS and UC Graduate School applications
- Completion of undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Completion of prerequisite coursework*
* Transferology.com can help with all of your college transfer equivalency needs. Transferology allows students to get information about course equivalencies, programs, courses and degree audits among a number of participating institutions.
|Course Content Area
|| UC Equivalent Course Options
|Anatomy and Physiology with Lab (1 year)
|Biology with Lab (1 year)
|| BIOL1081 & BIOL1081L
BIOL1082 & BIOL1082L
|Chemistry with Lab (1 year)
|| CHEM1040 & CHEM1040L
CHEM1041 & CHEM1041L
|Physics with Lab (1 year)
|| PHYS1051 & PHYS1051L
PHYS1052 & PHYS1052L
|English Composition (1 year)
*If your school integrates these classes into
other courses, this does not apply.
|Exercise Physiology (1 course)
|Medical Terminology (1 course)
|Psychology - Introductory (1 course)
Additional Psychology (1 course )
|Statistics (1 course)
- Completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) (Suggested minimum score 150 Quantitative, 150 Verbal, 4.0 Written)
- 3 Recommendation Letters (at least one from a PT)
- Minimum of 50 hours of Observation (minimum 25 inpatient, 25 elsewhere)
**You may also see a list of the requirements organized in charts on our PTCAS program profile webpage: click here
Entrance into UC’s physical therapy program is competitive and completion of prerequisite coursework does not guarantee admission into the physical therapy program.
Students still requiring an undergraduate degree may select any major and/or program but are reminded that entrance requirements to colleges will vary. The academic advisors of the College of Allied Health Sciences can provide suggestions for prospective students. A "pre-physical therapy" concentration and a Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences degree are available through the College of Allied Health Sciences to assist with the initial selection of courses and final selection of a bachelor's degree.
Individuals who have met the physical therapy admission requirements can apply during the application period to the physical therapy program if the course prerequisites have been completed within the past 10 calendar years and the GRE taken within the past five calendar years.
Please note that certain exceptions may apply. Individuals with questions concerning prior coursework and its acceptance in meeting physical therapy requirements should contact the Rehab Sciences department.