Skip to Main

Bachelor of Social Work (BSW)

Admission Requirements

Admission requirements vary depending upon a student’s route to admission into the Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) program in the School of Social Work, as students are admitted in a number of ways. 

Background Checks and Drug Screening

Before applying for admission into the SSW, most social service agencies which serve as field placement sites for our program now require background checks and fingerprinting, as well as preliminary alcohol and drug testing, sometimes at the student’s expense.

Some agencies may require students to comply with random drug screens during the field placement, and supervisors may also have the ability to request a drug screen during placement if they suspect the student is impaired during placement hours. These are the policies of social service agencies, not the University of Cincinnati or the School of Social Work.

A criminal history may limit a student’s ability to obtain a field placement, as well as limit or prohibit students from obtaining a license in social work or employment in the social work profession. Students are encouraged to contact the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage & Family Therapist Board  directly with questions about licensing.

High School      

It is recommended that students entering from high school have a high school GPA of at least 3.0. UC admits students based on academic and non-academic factors. For more information, please visit the UC Admissions website

Want to visit us? The college offers high school students the opportunity to learn more about our programs during College Day visits each week. 

Transfer and Transition Students

Students with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 can be admitted into the School of Social Work at any time of study as a transfer student from another UC program or another college or university. At the end of the sophomore year, students who have completed the required general education curriculum and who have a GPA of 2.75 can progress to the junior year.

The Office of Student Affairs offers appointments with academic advisors for prospective and transfer students. For more information about scheduling an appointment, please visit CAHS Advising.


Transferring Credits from Another College or University

Transferology can help with all of your college transfer equivalency needs. Transferology allows students to get information about course equivalencies, programs, courses and degree audits among a number of participating institutions.

A Social Work student during class

Contact Us

School of Social Work
1515 French Hall
PO Box 210108
Cincinnati OH 45221-0108
Phone: 513-556-4615
Fax: 513-556-2077

Visit UsApply

More Information

Looking for Social Work scholarships? Head to our scholarships page. 

Back to top