Health Information Security : Online
Why study Health Information Security : Online?
Starting in 2017, through the University of Cincinnati Master of Health Informatics program, you can complete a Graduate Certificate in Health Information Security.
Upon completing the health information security certificate, students will be able to:
- Detect threats and vulnerabilities to health information in order to develop mitigation strategy
- Apply critical thinking to evaluate practices, policy and legislation related to health information in order to advocate for change or adoption
- Apply technical and administrative skills and knowledge in order to practice how to secure health information
- Discuss the impact of health information breaches on public trust and health care practice in order to advocate for stronger protections and effective health information security strategy
- Develop a plan for disaster recovery and health care business continuity in order to identify best practices and practice how to strategize for health information disaster recovery planning
- Personal Statement
- Include a two-page double-spaced or one-page single-spaced narrative describing the following: What motivated you to pursue a graduate certificate in Health Information Security? Why you are interested in applying to the University of Cincinnati’s Health Information Security Graduate Certificate program? What are your short-term and long-term goals? How do you believe the University of Cincinnati’s Health Information Security Graduate Certificate program will contribute to you achieving your short-term and long-term career goals? Applicants should write this statement as if it were a written interview. You should also take this opportunity to explain any inconsistencies in your resume or transcripts.
- Professional Resume/CV that includes:
- Current professional resume/curriculum vita
- Education: formal and informal (continuing education/professional development) and dates of attendance
- Employment history
- Publications and honors, including dates received
- Community, professional and/or extracurricular involvement, including dates of involvement
- Unofficial Transcripts
- From all college or universities attended
- Shows a minimum baccalaureate degree: Must be from an accredited college or university
- GPA: 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Letters must be written on a professional letterhead
- You will designate two individuals who will be completing these forms on your behalf. You will submit their full name and email address in your application. The Recommendation Form will be sent to them through the application system. They will complete the form online, and it will automatically be included in your application once they submit it. Recommendation letters submitted by the student will not be accepted.
- These forms should come from people who are, or have been, in a position to evaluate your work in an academic or professional setting. Letters of recommendation should come from supervisors, current or former employers, professors or mentors. Professional or academic contacts should have known you for at least one year. Personal recommendations will not be accepted.
- Recommendation forms should be thoughtful and substantive, and they should speak specifically to personal knowledge of your academic potential and relevant personal qualities. In addition, they should speak to your intellectual ability, character, determination, professional and community achievements, and potential for contributions to the community with this degree. They should also address both strengths and weaknesses of the applicant.
*For application deadlines, please contact a program representative
Transcripts for a Degree Program received outside the U.S. must be evaluated by a credible credential evaluation organization such as WES.
Because this is an online program, students abroad will not need visas, and will complete the program remotely.
Please contact the Program Director with questions.
Health Sciences Building
3225 Eden Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45267
Program Code: 35GC-HISC-GC-.HISC-DL