Problem Gambling Coalition of Southwest Ohio
The Problem Gambling Coalition advocates for prevention and treatment workforce development in Butler, Clermont, Clinton, Hamilton, and Warren Counties and involvement from members in other Ohio counties and other states.
- To increase public awareness of problem gambling and the availability of prevention, treatment & recovery services
- To encourage healthcare providers to screen clients for problem gambling
- To prepare practicing Social Workers to deliver problem gambling prevention and treatment services
- To prepare Social Work students to deliver problem gambling prevention and treatment services under supervision
- To assist BSW and MSW students in earning prevention credentials with focus on problem gambling prevention, suicide prevention and substance misuse prevention and domestic violence prevention
- To advocate for Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services to offer problem gambling treatment fellowships for holders of the LSWs, LISWs, and LISW-S
- To advocate for colleges to be prepared for problem gambling challenges by offering education and training opportunities
Letter from the Chair
2023-2024 Coalition Chair Rachel Johnson
It is an honor to serve as this term’s Chair of the Coalition. As a treatment provider and educator, I have had the distinct privilege of studying and implementing strategies to reduce problem gambling behaviors and treat addiction, and I look forward to the progress we will make together! As awareness about problem gambling increases, prevention and treatment specialists, as well as communities at large, are gathering to provide resources and support. Welcome to the Problem Gambling Prevention and Treatment Coalition of Southwest Ohio, where we are striving to increase public awareness of problem gambling, including prevention and treatment resources, in our region! I am confident that we will continue to grow and the professionals in prevention, treatment, and education in the Coalition will engage the community to provide the resources and support so needed for problem gambling in our region. I am excited about the opportunity to participate in such an incredible endeavor, and look forward to working with each of you to reach our goals!
Join a Coalition Committee
You are invited to join one of the Coalition committees to plan a future CEU day or problem gambling prevention or treatment education, contact committee chair to receive more information:
College Prevention Committee
2023-2024 Chair: Jennifer Radt, LSW, firstname.lastname@example.org
Prevention Outreach Committee
March 2024 CEU Day, Problem Gambling Awareness Month focus on treatment
4.5 hours of CEUs
2023-2024 Committee Chair: Dr. Jodi Whitted, MSSW, email@example.com
June 2024 CEU Day, Problem Gambling Prevention
4.5 hours of CEUs
2023-2024 Committee Chair: Nathaniel Johnson, MSW, LSW, LCDC III Gamb., firstname.lastname@example.org
Sept 15, 2023 Problem Gambling Treatment CEU Training Great Success
Sixty social work and counseling prevention and treatment professionals earned 4.5 hours in problem gambling treatment continuing education.
A sampling of organizations represented included Best Point, Brighter Days Wellness and Recovery LLC, Center for Addiction Treatment, Cincinnati UMADOAP, Cincinnati VA Medical Center, Envision Partnerships, Greater Cincinnati Behavioral Health Services (GCBHS), Mercy Health, Mount St Joseph University, Pinpoint Behavioral Health Solutions, Pressley Ridge, Problem Gambling Network of Ohio, Resurge Recovery, Talbert House, The Crossroads Center, TriHealth Cincinnati, UC Clermont College, UC School of Social Work and geographic representation from Butler, Clermont, Clinton, Hamilton, and Warren Counties.
Thank you to the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services for funding this continuing education series. In addition, thank you to the UC College of Allied Health Services and School of Social Work for hosting the event.
In the news
- Gambling addiction treatment is focus of event for area social workers, counselors Journal News September 14, 2023
- Simply Medicine, a radio show and podcast in Cincinnati April 8, 2023
- Channel 5 Cincinnati April 3, 2023
- PBS NewsHour Feb 27, 2023