Speech-Language Hearing Sciences
Why study Speech-Language Hearing Sciences?
The Speech Language Hearing Sciences minor provides students in a variety of majors at the University of Cincinnati with the opportunity to explore topics related to speech, language, swallowing & hearing disorders. Coursework will provide you with a strong foundation of the basic principles of working with individuals with communication disorders throughout the lifespan.
After completion of the minor, you will be able to:
- Explain basic principles of human communication & communication disorders across the lifespan
- Recognize connections between the discipline of communication disorders and the importance of advocacy for individuals with disabilities.
- Describe the influence of cultural and linguistic background on human communication, speech, language, swallowing, and hearing
- Demonstrate a beginning knowledge for the professions of speech-language pathology & audiology
- Discuss the historical challenges and the need for acceptance and respect of individuals with communication differences throughout the lifespan.
The Speech Language Hearing Sciences minor program is designed for students interested in health care, education, the vocal mechanism, and the sciences. You may find this minor beneficial for broadening future employment opportunities, graduate school, and/or for improving your own communication skills.
Coursework completed as part of this minor can also be used to fulfill some or all prerequisites for graduate studies in audiology, deaf education and speech-language pathology.
Admission requirements to declare the minor include:
- Enrollment in a baccalaureate degree program at the University of Cincinnati
- Enrollment in a declared major at the University of Cincinnati
- A minimum University GPA of 3.0
The Speech Language Hearing Sciences Minor creates an opportunity for you to explore fields and careers in human communication and communication disorders.
Additionally, the major is designed to benefit those preparing to work in medical, educational, and healthcare related professions including healthcare administration. Future physicians, nurses, teachers, special educators, psychologists, researchers, engineers, vocal performers, dieticians, occupational and physical therapists will find that this minor will enable them to become more effective practitioners.
Those who work in government health agencies, wellness centers, universities, and the armed forces will enter the job market with a more well-rounded educational profile that enhances the information and service they provide to individuals.
If you are ready to declare Speech Language Hearing Sciences as your minor, please fill out the Declaration of Intent form.
Declaration of intent for minor programs must be submitted before the 15th day of the semester. Declarations submitted after the 15th day of a semester will take effect the first day of the next semester.
3225 Eden Ave
Cincinnati, OH 45267
Find related programs in the following interest areas:
Program Code: 35MIN-SLH-MIN