- Completion of the PTCAS and UC Graduate School applications
- Completion of undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) (Suggested minimum score 150 Quantitative, 150 Verbal, 4.0 Written)
- 3 Recommendation Letters (at least one from a PT)
- Due to COVID-19, a letter from a PT may be substituted by a letter from an employer or faculty member.
- Minimum of 50 hours of observation (minimum 25 inpatient, 25 elsewhere)
- Due to COVID-19 we will be waiving the observation hour requirements for students applying this cycle.
- Completion of prerequisite coursework (listed below)
Entrance into UC’s physical therapy program is competitive and completion of prerequisite coursework does not guarantee admission into the physical therapy program.
Students still requiring an undergraduate degree may select any major and/or program but are reminded that entrance requirements to colleges will vary. The University of Cincinnati Health Sciences - Pre-Physical Therapy undergraduate degree includes all prerequisite coursework for application to the DPT program.
Prerequisite Course Requirements are as follows:
- Anatomy & Physiology (1 full year (two semesters) with lab)
- UC equivalent BIOL 2001C & BIOL 2002C
- General Biology (1 full year (two semesters) with lab)
- UC equivalent BIOL 1081, BIOL 1081L & BIOL 1082, BIOL 1082L
- General Chemistry (1 full year (two semesters) with lab)
- UC equivalent CHEM 1040, CHEM 1040L & CHEM 1041, CHEM 1040L
- General Physics (1 full year (two semesters) with lab)
- UC equivalent PHYS 1051 & PHYS 1052
- Exercise Physiology (1 semester)
- UC equivalent HLSC 3031 or HLSC 3032C
- Introductory Psychology (1 semester)
- UC equivalent PSYC 1001
- Medical Terminology (1 semester)
- UC equivalent HLSC 2012
- Statistics (1 semester)
- UC equivalent STAT 1031 or STAT 1034
Individuals who have met the physical therapy admission requirements can apply during the application period to the physical therapy program if the course prerequisites have been completed within the past 10 calendar years and the GRE taken within the past five calendar years.
Please note that certain exceptions may apply.
Applicants may not have more than two core science courses and two non-science courses incomplete when they apply. All prerequisite courses must be completed before the program start date. For each of the prerequisites below, we have indicated courses that will fulfill the requirements for our program.
Want to know if your classes count?
Please visit our prerequisite course equivalencies page to check for equivalent courses for prerequisite courses from specific colleges/universities.
International Student Requirements
International students must complete all pre-requisites, including a bachelor's degree that has been evaluated by an organization that provides credential evaluation. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required of all applicants whose native language is other than English. The suggested minimum score is 520 (paper) or 190 (computer).
Accepted international students must fulfill U.S. Immigration Service requirements and register with the International Student Services Offices at UC.