How to Apply

Our application ​opens in September for admittance the following year. The deadline to apply ​is February 15th. This deadline is for both the application as well as supporting materials. Please be sure to follow up with your recommenders as an application will be considered incomplete if the three letters of reference are not received by the date.

Early Decision

Don't want to wait to know if you are accepted?  Take advantage of the Early Decision deadline opportunity. Early Decision is for those of you who want to receive your acceptance letters as quickly as possible!

If you have your MSW application completed by November 30 (this includes all supporting documents including all three references) you will receive your notice of selection no later than December 31.

Application Details 

To apply for the MSW Program, prospective students must complete an online application through the UC Graduate School. Accelerated Part-Time, Full-Time, and Part-Time applicants should apply for Fall. 

Components of the application include:

  • A résumé
  • A personal statement
  • Three letters of reference, preferably one academic and two professional. (If applying to the Accelerated Full-Time program and you are currently in school, one of your references MUST be your field instructor.)
  • ​Copies of unofficial transcripts from all undergraduate institutions attended 
  • A $65 application fee.

​Please note that the School of Social Work does not require the GRE.

If you are accepted, there ​will be a deposit fee of $100 which will be credited to your student account after completing one semester.

Students who have received a degree from China and are applying for admission should view the Chinese Transcript Verification Process for directions on submitting transcripts. 

Financial Aid

There are several types of financial aid for which graduate students in social work can apply. In order to receive any financial aid, students must complete the FAFSA by April 15th prior to beginning the program.  For general information about financial aid at UC, please visit the Student Financial Aid web page.

Student Loans

UC Student Financial Aid has more information about student loans.

Headshot of School of Social Work

School of Social Work

Health Sciences Building

PO Box 210108 | Cincinnati, OH 45221-0108

Phone: (513) 556-4615 | Fax: (513) 556-2077