Social Work

Social work student presenting her research

The Bachelor of Social Work program at the University of Cincinnati, will challenge you to look inside to learn about yourself and then to look outside to find ways to be of service in the world.

At the end of your UC education, you will be prepared for entry-level, generalist social work practice, which means that you will have the knowledge and skills needed to work with individuals, families, groups, communities, and organizations in a variety of settings and can become licensed as a social worker in the state of Ohio after passing your licensing exam.

You will also have the foundation education necessary for graduate study in social work, and if your academic record is outstanding, you may be admitted to the accelerated, one-year Master of Social Work program at UC or similar programs around the country.

Social workers are employed in both the public and private social service sectors. Social workers work in community-based agencies that provide resources to meet basic human needs. They work with people facing difficult life situations, such as homelessness and domestic violence in shelters. They provide counseling and case management services for people with mental health problems in community mental health centers, psychiatric hospitals, residential treatment centers, corrections, and family service agencies. They work with people experiencing disability and health problems in hospitals, nursing homes, and clinics. They provide support to children and their families in schools and agencies serving youth. In the child welfare field, they are employed by adoption, foster care and family preservation agencies, and protective service agencies dealing with neglect and abuse of children. Other social workers work on policy and program development in government agencies. They may advocate on behalf of causes and communities in a variety of voluntary agencies.

Additional career options are listed on the Center for Exploratory Studies website.

Being a student at the University of Cincinnati means that you get to enjoy the perks of a top research university with a unique urban campus with a diverse and vibrant student life experience.

The student life experience is enriched by the University of Cincinnati’s over 600 student organizations. There is truly something for everyone here.

In the College of Allied Health Sciences, each major has at least one academic student organization. These organization’s allow students to get more engaged with the profession, attend conferences and get involved in the community.

Social Work majors are able to join the following academic student organizations.  

Admissions Information for....

High School Students

Please visit UC Admissions for information about applying to the university as a high school student (also applies to students who have yet to attend a college or university). 

Transfer Students

Students who have earned a high school diploma or GED and have attended a college or university other than the University of Cincinnati since earning their high school credentials are consdiered transfer students.

Please visit UC Admissions for information about applying to the university as a transfer student. 

Transition Students

Students who are currently enrolled in undergraduate programs in other University of Cincinnati colleges (including UC Blue Ash and UC Clermont), but want to change their program (transition) to the College of Allied Health Sciences (CAHS) are considered transition students.

Please visit Academic Advising for more information on applying to one of our programs as a transition student

The University of Cincinnati has a vareity of scholarship opportunitites: 

You can also visit UC's Financial Aid Office for additional questions about tuititon, loans, and other opportunities. 

As a first year student in the Social Work program, you will start your educational journey as a member of the social work learning community, learning about the profession as well as completing general education requirements. Introductory courses in social work allow for the study of social problems and to experience social work through opportunities for service learning in the community.

You will take approximately five courses each in the fall and spring semesters, depending on your specific educational needs. You should meet regularly with an academic advisor to ensure that you keep to the proper course sequence.

The required courses for the social work degree begin in the junior year. You will begin to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for the achievement of the core competencies for generalist social work practice as defined by the Council on Social Work Education. In the senior year, you will have a year-long, two days per week field placement in a local social service agency, practicing the skills you have learned under the supervision of a professional social worker.

The school of social work has affiliations with over 200 social service agencies in the greater Cincinnati area, providing a wealth of options for field learning. Senior-year coursework and seminars allow you to connect the theories you have studied to what you experience in the field as you reflect on your developing professional self. Unique to UC is the two-term research sequence; you will learn basic research methods and then design and carry out a research project in your field agency.

Review the program outline to access program curriculum(s), admissions information and more.


The Bachelor of Social Work and Master of Social Work programs are accredited by the Council on Social Work Education’s Commission on Accreditation.

Master of Social Work Learning Outcomes (DOC)
Bachelor of Social Work Learning Outcomes (DOC) 

Headshot of School of Social Work

School of Social Work

Health Sciences Building

PO Box 210108 | Cincinnati, OH 45221-0108

Phone: (513) 556-4615 | Fax: (513) 556-2077