Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


We usually hold information sessions from September - December. Our MSW Visit Us page will have the most-up-to-date opportunities. 

Yes, however you will need to apply to ​our MSW program. Some credits may be able to be transferred over if accepted. If you are interested in transferring to the MSW Program, please contact the program director Dr. Shauna Acquavita.

The Graduate School offers application waivers in some instances. Please visit the Graduate School FAQs for more details.

The personal statement is your opportunity to explain to the admissions committee why you are interested in pursuing a master’s degree in social work, the reasons you believe you will excel in graduate school, and why UC is a good fit for you. The School of Social Work requires all applicants to write 5-7 double-spaced pages and answer the following questions:

  • What led you to choose social work as your profession? For example, describe events of significance in your growth and development, and experiences in your home, school, work and community that have been influential in your decision to be a social worker.
  • Describe your career goals - what areas of social work are you planning to pursue?
  • Describe a challenging life experience you have faced and how it was successfully resolved.
  • What do you see as personal strengths that will enhance your ability as a social worker? What limitations do you think you have to address?

Yes. The SSW has students from many backgrounds – psychology, sociology, women’s studies, communications, criminal justice, and  archeology, to name just a few. Individuals who have worked in allied fields or who have volunteered in fields similar to social work increase their chances of acceptance because of their ability to demonstrate that they possess some of the basic skills necessary to excel in social work. 


There are specific BSW courses that may count towards an MSW degree. They have to have been taken within 5 years of acceptance into our MSW program, with a grade of B or better, from an institution accredited by CSWE. (Please visit CSWE's website to see if your program is accredited.)


  • Students on the Accelerated Full-Time track begin classes in the second half of the summer term, typically in mid-June.
  • Students on the Acclerated Part-Time, Full-Time or Part-Time tracks begin classes in the fall term, typically in late August.

The SSW does not offer admittance beginning in the spring term. 

  • Accelerated program students complete 34 credits (full-time and part-time)
  • Full- and part-time students complete 60 credits.
  • Accelerated students have summer classes that occur during the day.
  • In fall and spring terms, accelerated and full-time students have classes in the afternoon and evening.
  • Part-time students’ courses are offered in the evening. However, students must still be able to schedule daytime hours Monday through Friday for field education.

Concurrent full-time employment is strongly discouraged for students in the accelerated and full-time programs because of the time commitment and scheduling for classes and field education.

Class sizes vary from about 12-30 students, depending on the class. 


Yes. The SSW offers several courses online; however, most classes occur on the main campus. It is not possible to complete the MSW degree at UC completely online.

Tuition & Financial Aid

Please visit the UC Financial Aid UC Costs webpage for the current tuition rates for part- and full-time graduate students who are in or out of state. For the purpose of tuition, full-time status at UC for graduate students is 10 credit hours.

85% students received full or partial scholarships.

Scholarships, fellowships, and graduate assistantships are available through the School of Social Work. Current students are notified of assistantships as they become available, and incoming students are notified of openings in their offer letter. Scholarships are also available through the University of Cincinnati, and students can pursue student loans by completing the FAFSA, or discover scholarships and grants from outside sources. 

Yes. International students are eligible for University Graduate Scholarships and may be eligible for other scholarships. Contact the SSW or visit UC International Services for more information.

Campus/Community Life

Please see the options available on the ​Graduate School's housing page.

Absolutely. Please call the School of Social Work at 513-556-4615 or email at to be connected to a current student. 


Yes. Each February the SSW hosts Dr. Sophia Dziegielewski who has developed a licensure preparation course and has helped more than 17,000 students successfully pass licensing exams. 

Headshot of School of Social Work

School of Social Work

Health Sciences Building

PO Box 210108 | Cincinnati, OH 45221-0108

Phone: (513) 556-4615 | Fax: (513) 556-2077