Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
CSD Diversity Committee "CSD-DC"
The CSD-DC began as a discussion amongst Faculty and Students surrounding the integral topic of reimagining systems and structures in our program to better serve underrepresented student groups. Organically, this discussion developed into a committee whose purpose is to facilitate the implementation of ideas approved by the CSD faculty in areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our goal is to hear and address the concerns of students, faculty, and staff, and to identify ways of implementing positive and productive changes within our department.
The mission of the CSD Diversity Committee is to develop an academic and clinical environment that is welcoming, equitable, and inclusive for faculty, staff, students, clients, and communities served throughout our programs. We aim to contribute to a more diverse and equitable audiology and speech-language pathology profession by recommending policy and practices within our department that create increased awareness, knowledge, and skill development in the area of cultural competence, cultural responsiveness and cultural humility.
The work of the CSD-DC is ongoing as we continue to develop and implement DEI efforts within our department. Some highlights of our completed work include:
- Adding DEI course objectives to all courses
- Integration of a student-led subcommittee
- Providing mini-lecture sessions at department meetings
- Updating equitable hiring and research practices for faculty guidance
- Presenting at UC Equity and Inclusion Conference
- Presenting and representing at NBSLHA
- Awarded a grant from CAHS DEI committee for inclusive clinic and therapeutic materials
- Creating a space for resources for faculty to access for courses across all DEI categories
- Student support lecture series
We want to hear from you! If you have suggestions or topics of concern you would like our committee to address, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.